The shameless plug-fest continues. We LOVE KT Tape because they love us! We get to be early adopters of their new synthetic product…cool to be an early adopter. Cooler of them to support us!
Let’s talk food and energy and water and hydration. After 5 runnings in this event I have finally decided it needs more than seat-of-the-pants, night-before planning. So I am giving it 9 days before planning treatment. Give me another 5 years of this race and I might even have a plan. There are many approaches that I have witnessed so far:
1) “The Heiskell” – this is an Army/West Point influenced approach. Eat at 6:05am, run at 8:05am. Finish running at 8:55am, immediately drink 14.6 fluid ounces of a protein, electrolyte shake, 2 cans of ravioli-a-ronis, 1 banana, 1 powerbar and 1 bottle of water. Repeat every 3-4 hours until you have run the 6th leg 30+ hours later.
2) “The Bagel” – if all else fails just always be eating a bagel when you are not running or sleeping.
3) “The Circle K” – only eat when a convenience store presents itself. This rule can be breached if someone is passing out something homemade for $5 or less.
4) “Bar-licious” – see “The Bagel” but replace “bagle” with “bar”.
5) “The I-Wonder-If-I-Am-Getting-Enough-Calories” plan – this basically means eat a great deal between 6am and 10am and then lose interest in eating the junk you bought. So instead you pump Gu gels, apples, an occasional Snickers into your body and convince yourself you are well on your way to the 4-5,000 calories the event requires.
Well, this year I plan to insert a 6th and much, much more well planned approach to rival “the Heiskell”. Here are the gory details:
5:30am: Peanut Butter, Honey, Banana Sandwich, coffee, water
8:30am (Leg 2 done): Peanut Butter, Honey, Banana Sandwich, coffee, water
11:30am: Oatmeal shake (oats, cinnamon, flax, banana, soy milk, almonds) via magic bullet followed by Gatorade.
2pm (Leg 8 done): Tuna, Beans, Rice mix with hot sauce with water and a banana.
4:30pm: Banana, honey, peanut butter, gatorade, water
8:00pm (Leg 14 done): Quiznos? Bojangles?
9:30pm: Greek yogurt, honey, powerbar, water
11:30pm: (Leg 20 done): Tomato Sandwich from leg 19 with water, chips
2:30am: Banana and a Gu with water
3:30am: (Leg 26 done): Water and baked potato from prior exchange. Maybe even a coke?
6am: Coffee, pancakes? Egg Sandwich from a convenience store?
9am: (Leg 32 done): none of the food items above!!!
Suggestions? Any improvements you see that can be made? I’m all ears!
Filed under: Discussion, Food, Logistics | Leave a comment »